In the early 1950s the Regional Council of Central Finland organised a competition to find Central Finland a provincial coat of arms. The winning entry was realised on the basis of artist Ahto Numminen's capercaillie motif. Members of Parliament made new moves to form the administrative district of Central Finland. The decisive bill relating to the number of new administrative districts came before Parliament in 1954, and included the creation of the administrative districts of Central Finland and Northern Karelia. Parliament passed the bill and the President of the Republic ratified the law on the administrative district of Central Finland on 15th June, 1956.

Central Finland's rail network and transport connections were developed by constructing a rail connection in the north of the province. The Orivesi-Jämsä-Jämsänkoski railway was used as an industrial rail link. As of the end of the decade Jyväskylä's Tikkakoski airfield served civilian traffic to Tampere, Helsinki, Kuopio and other places. The Road and Waterway Construction District of Central Finland was strongly in favour of the E4 road. The road construction work that had begun in the 1930s was continued in 1950-63.


FRONT PAGE >>